Skip to main content

Two things At The Same Time?





I had a good laugh last night, you know the kind of laughter that emanates from the deepest part of the belly.  Wasn't even reading or watching any comic show,  here's why:

Amidst my kitchen busyness trying to get dinner ready,  I overheard the Hubby and D2 in a funny exchange of sorts.


The Hubby was busy working on the laptop and at the same time using 'side eye' to monitor the riot situation in Turkey via Sky News.

D1 on the other hand was bored stiff as I had taken away the contentious Tab from him and D2 so everyone could have some respite from the endless squabbles.

You know how it is. One Tablet. Several game options. Two 'strong' kids. Two different interests. Two preferences. A house full of noise.

What to do to fill in the time before dinner?
No cartoon either.

After confiscating the Tab, D2 wasted no time in settling down to some construction works,  using Legos to build castles but nothing particularly could occupy D1 except playing with the Laptop or watching TV.

The laptop has a game center and the DSTV  has many kiddies channels.

One bored boy.  Two options.

It's either the laptop or the TV. The following exchange ensued:

D1: Please,  Can I play a game on your computer?
  
Hubby: No, you can see I'm busy on it.

D1: Ok,  Can I change this to 309, pleeeeease? *reaching for the remote control* (309 is the channel for Disney Junior; asking 'politely' is their talisman,  a post for another day)

Hubby: No, I'm watching news

D1: Ok.  Be watching your news,  let me play game on the laptop then.

Hubby: I said No.

D1: Ahn ahn, How can you do 2 things at the same time? (trying to 'lobby')

Hubby: straight face,  no response

D1: I say you cannot do two things at the same time. (trying to look stern)

His face and stance was a picture of absolute cuteness.

The Hubby couldn't help laughing out and neither could I resist the temptation to join in.

Its so hilarious how fast he's catching on with some of the disciplinary  tactics and exploring them to his favor.  Who says kids are not smart?

We employ this line most times to bring him to order like when he's eating and trying to play at the same time or when he's trying not to let go of a particular toy for D2 or even when he's doing his homework and also trying to hold on to a toy at the same time. He tried giving Hubby a dose of his own medicine.

It got me thinking on how this has become the story of the lives of some of us and I also couldn't help wondering at the (in)appropriateness of handling multiple things at the same time.
Not that we have much choice as women anyway. With that title comes the super-multi-tasking quality. Sometimes you even get to run 8 tasks concurrently. *flexing tiny muscles*

But how so true that doing multiple things at the same time might make one or two or all suffer even if those things are 'honorable pursuits'. Like running a home + running a business + holding down a full time employment + academic pursuit.

(Like in my short story above,  Hubby could not concentrate 100% per time on either 'pursuits' because it's just not possible and someone else 'suffered' on account of that).

Ask me and I would say it's easier for the proverbial camel to pass through the eye of the needle than to completely, as in absolutely excel at these.  I strongly believe we can do all things through Him who strengthens us but then we also don't need to over-task ourselves or stretch His grace which we freely enjoy.

Sometimes in our multiple pursuits as women,  the home gets to suffer and by the 'home' I mean the kids,  husband,  marriage,  etc. And where you eventually manage to achieve some sort of balance, then the health or well-being (spiritual, physical, emotional) may be at the receiving end. Or you fail to deliver your best at work.

Something must give saa ni.

I have had my health (spiritual, physical, emotional), my job, my academics suffer at one point or the other in the recent past.

But I do not beat myself up about it because I realize that I am human with human capabilities even though I draw from the fountain of grace constantly.

The key is to know and understand our capabilities and prioritize appropriately.  I pray God will help anyone 'caught in the web' of multiple pursuits. (Including yours truly)

This also brought to my mind the verse (Matt 6: 24) which says one cannot serve two masters at the same time.  

"No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other  you either love one and hate the other"

Now what do you say where the body and soul are competing for your full attention?

Which would you rather feed or starve? Or simply put,  which master would you rather serve?

Out of the mouths of babes....

(meanwhile D2 didn't get to have his way with either pursuit..everyone must down tools when mummy brings in the tray...lol)

Cheers.

Comments

  1. Interesting post...I love the lesson you are trying to teach your children.

    www.geneafrique.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Lara, we can only try our best and leave the rest to God; will visit 'you' shortly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY: 15mins Easy Peasy Wrap Skirt

6 years ago when hubby-to-be and I decided to take that bold leap, I went hunting for the right material to make a nice outfit for our *introduction program and soon made me a nice skirt and blouse for the 'do'. Fast forwarded to 2013, my dress size understandably changed from 6 (yes I was a sz 6) to 10 and there was no other option than to give out my much loved outfit to someone who is slimmer. Only hitch being that the scarf went into hiding at the time I gave it away only to resurface last week from its hiding place deep within the closet.

Superheroes R Us..

  Totally unrelated to superheroes but it's what we're watching as I type this So we love Spiderman...Superman...Hulk as much as we love Old Trafford. It's official. Because I belong to an all-boys clan and if you can't beat them.... *sigh*...

Life is a beach...really

So this year got off to a very good start for me with lots of motivation packed into my 'big' frame. Hoping and praying to sail through the same way I started...you know...crossed over to 2014 with lots of prayers for a good year, then had lots of good heavy food (really tempted to take pictures of my culinary exploits and share here...but no thanks...). Talking about food, I did something weird...a post for another day, if I ever get round to it. Then I left Hubby and the kids alternating between Disney Junior and CNN and just crashed on the bed for some well deserved rest.Oh sweet, blissful rest.